The oldest district of Bieruń. The first mention of the settlement dates back to 1272 in the document of Władysław, the Duke of Opole and Racibórz. The Duke wanted to build his own fortress on the site of the village of Żory, which had been burned down by the Tatars. At the time, Żory belonged to knight Chwalisz, who was gifted the Duke’s village of Ściernie in exchange for Żory.
As early as the Middle Ages, a busy route connecting Gliwice with Kraków ran through the village. In 1824, it was straightened and hardened, creating the first paved road in Upper Silesia. In 1877, the Pszczyna Road, connecting Pszczyna and Nowy Bieruń, reached Ściernie. In 1916, a narrow-gauge railway from Bieruń „Lignoza” to the station in Nowy Bieruń was built, running through Ściernie. It was demolished in 1975, and today, a cycle path follows its track.
Manor farm and the lime industry
For centuries, a manor farm of over 300 ha, owned among others by the knightly family of Ścierński, prospered here. The geological structure of the Ścierska Kępa region was favourable for the extraction of limestone and burning of lime. Local roads in the area were surfaced and paved with „Ściernie” rocks and houses were built from limestone combined with lime mortar.
Centre of the district administration
In 2002, the building of the Centre for Economic Initiatives was opened in Ściernie, which is the headquarters of the Bieruń Foundation for Economic Initiatives. In 2006, the County Police Station was established here and in 2010, it became the headquarters of the Bieruńsko-Lędziński County Office.