ENG - The historic center of the New Bieruń
The history of Bieruń Nowy
The origins of Bieruń Nowy are associated with the creation, in 1824, of the first paved interstate road in Upper Silesia, leading from Wrocław to the then border on the Vistula, to Oświęcim and Krakow.
In 1830, the Royal-Prussian Chief Customs Office was built. Officials and customs officers were accommodated in the building. There were warehouses, an inn, salt factories and residential houses around the main building. There was also the Chief Post Office and a court vested with authority to try criminal offenses there. A school was opened in 1824. A new settlement was established on the lands of Zabrzeg, Porąbka, Kopciowice and received the official name of Bieruń - Zabrzeg. In 1833 the name was changed to Nowy Bieruń, and later to Bieruń Nowy. After the railways were launched in Nowy Bieruń in 1859 and the Republic of Krakow was incorporated into Austria (1846), the Nowy Bieruń road lost its previous communication significance. The Chief Customs Office was moved to Mysłowice, and only a standard customs office was left there. In the interwar period, the Bieruń Nowy commune was enlarged as Bijasowice, Czarnuchowice and Ściernie villages were added. In 1973 the commune was incorporated into the Bieruń Stary commune, and in 1975 into Tychy. Commissioning of the "Piast" Coal Mine in Bieruń Nowy (then Tychy) on December 3, 1975 ultimately determined the industrial nature of this former border settlement. Bieruń Nowy has been a part of the town of Bieruń since 1991.